Friday, June 25, 2010

Lava Field Hike

























Yesterday, we drove to the end of the road on the South side of Maui and hiked several miles down a trail that winds through a lava field along the coast. Although the typical thoughts about Hawaii probably invoke images of a tropical paradise with stunning, clear blue water, many parts of the various islands are quite desolate and dry. There is definitely no lack of tropical paradise in Maui, but I have been suprised by the extent of the lava fields and scrubby mountainsides. The contrast between the dark jagged lava fields and inviting blue water was amazing! The lava field we hiked through was formed during the last volcanic eruption on Maui that occurred about 230 years ago. It was incredible because we could look up and see paths where the lava had flowed down the mountainside and into the ocean. John Harrison fell asleep on the hike and so I covered his head with the little bonnet that came with our Ergo baby carrier....so cute!!
One of the beaches along the hike was home to about 50 wild goats. I included a picture of one of the billy goats who had quite the beard and appeared to be the ringleader.
We spent the afternoon at the beach; David and my cousin Matthew snorkled while I played with John Harrison on the beach. At this particular beach, John Harrison LOVES collecting nuts that fall from a shade tree and walking around with them in his hands. Our little guy is very independent and doesn't want too much help walking around the beach....he seems to think that he is invincible as he walks toward the water. John Harrison holds my hand as he walks around or else I keep my eyes on him and my hands ready to reach for him as we walk around the beach.

2 comments:

  1. Hey!! We're so glad you found us on here! I love reading about all your travels! We were actually in Vancouver for a night back in January.. we spent a week snow skiing in Whistler and loved it!! We would absolutely LOVE to get together sometime! Where are ya'll living these days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing that little guy run towards the water is scary for me - and I'm not his mother! He did really well on the hike. :)

    I was proud David held back his rage and didn't attack the leader of the billy goats.

    ReplyDelete