Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Switzerland: November 2008



I decided that over the next month or so, I will make some "2008 in review" posts to recap the past year. This first post is about our most recent trip. David and I had been wanting to go to Europe together for as long as I can remember. Knowing that once Baby comes, it will be a while before another Europe trip is feasible, we decided to go to Switzerland this past November. We still want to visit many other European countries, but this time, we were only gone from the US for 7 days so we decided to limit our trip to one country. I had been to Switzerland in 2000 on a missions trip and absolutely loved the country's beautiful scenery and architecture and overall quaintness . . . so, when David let me pick the destination of our trip, I decided on Switzerland. The picture directly above shows Lake Lucerne with the Alps in the background and the first picture shows us at the top of Mt. Pilatus.
David and I rode the steepest cog railway in the world (48% gradient) up to the top of Mt. Pilatus. The picture above was taken during our ascent up the mountain.

David and Catherine standing beside the cog railway.

Picture of the aerial cableway we rode down the side of the mountain.

We visited several cathedrals in Lucerne (northern, central Switzerland) during our trip. The picture above shows the inside of the Jesuit Church, which was constructed in the 1600s. Although it is easy to be captivated by the beauty of cathedrals such as this one, in the end, even the most ornate cathedrals are still buildings constructed by human hands. Seeing this cathedral made me think of the following verses spoken by Stephen in Acts 7: 48-50: "However the Most High does not dwell in houses made by human hands; as the Prophet says, 'Heaven is My throne and earth is the footstool of My feet; what kind of house will you build for Me?' says the Lord 'Or what place is there for My repose? Was it not My hand which made all these things?'"
Chapel Bridge, Lucerne, Switzerland - "The Kapellbruecke" (originally constructed in 1333).

No comments:

Post a Comment